A Natural Stress Reliever
Rescue Remedy is a popular and effective blend of 5 different Bach Flower Essences designed to ease stress. Rescue Remedy is used world wide to treat emotional stress in emergency situations and is now available in different preparations apart from the original alcohol-based drops. Rescue Remedy is safe for all ages and is regulated and approved by the FDA in the United States.
Note: “Rescue Remedy” is a registered trademark of Nelson Bach USA, Ltd., Nelsonbach, and the Dr. Bach Foundation. The blend is available under different names from different companies. For the sake of familiarity and simplicity, this lens uses the word “Rescue Remedy” to include any and all 5-essence blends based on the original work of Dr. Edward Bach.
Rescue Remedy is a blend of five flower essences developed by Dr. Edward Bach in the 1930’s. It is safe and effective for temporary relief of emotional difficulties due to stress or anxiety. Rescue Remedy offers immediate and gentle relief and allows you to regain strength and emotional control.
How Safe Is Rescue Remedy?
The disclaimers and legal mumbo jumbo…….
Because of their long use in the United States, the U.S. Congress passed a law in 1938 declaring that homeopathic remedies are to be regulated by the FDA in the same manner as nonprescription, over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, which means that they can be purchased without a physician’s prescription. Bach Flower Essences are classified by the FDA as Homeopathic Remedies.
Remedies are required to meet certain legal standards for strength, quality, purity, and packaging. In 1988, the FDA required that all homeopathic remedies list the indications for their use (i.e., the medical problems to be treated) on the label. The FDA also requires the label to list ingredients, dilutions, and instructions for safe use.
The guidelines for homeopathic remedies are found in an official guide, the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, which is authored by a nongovernmental, nonprofit organization of industry representatives and homeopathic experts.The Pharmacopoeia also includes provisions for testing new remedies and verifying their clinical effectiveness. Remedies on the market before 1962 have been accepted into the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States based on historical use, rather than scientific evidence from clinical trials.
SIDE EFFECTS AND WARNINGS:
The FDA has learned of a few reports of illness associated with the use of homeopathic remedies. However, the FDA reviewed these reports and decided that the remedies were not likely to be the cause, because of the high dilutions.
Here is some general information that has been reported about risks and side effects in homeopathy:
- Homeopathic medicines in high dilutions, taken under the supervision of trained professionals, are considered safe and unlikely to cause severe adverse reactions.
- Some patients report feeling worse for a brief period of time after starting homeopathic remedies (this does not apply to Flower Essences). Homeopaths interpret this as the body temporarily stimulating symptoms while it makes an effort to restore health.
- Flower Essence remedies and some liquid homeopathic remedies can contain alcohol and are permitted to have higher levels of alcohol than conventional drugs for adults. This may be of concern to some consumers. However, no adverse effects from the alcohol levels have been reported either to the FDA or in the scientific literature.
- Homeopathic remedies are not known to interfere with conventional drugs; however, if you are considering using homeopathic remedies, you should discuss this with your health care provider. If you have more than one provider, discuss it with each one.
- As with all medicinal products, a person taking a homeopathic remedy is best advised to contact his health care provider if symptoms continue unimproved for more than 5 days.
- Keep all remedies out of the reach of children.
- Consult a health care provider before using the product if the user is a woman who is pregnant or nursing a baby.
- The Flower Essence remedies are NOT a replacement for regular medical or homeopathic care. Please consult the appropriate professional for serious conditions.
Rescue Remedy is an excellent choice in emergency situations when it is important to maintain composure to deal with the situation at hand.
Dr. Edward Bach was a medical doctor, immunologist, bacteriologist, and homeopath. In the 1930’s he made the (the revolutionary) discovery that our physical health is intimately linked to our physical health. He tirelessly pursued his research in to discovering plant essences which possessed abilities to positively affect our mental state and emotions.
He developed Rescue Remedy as an “all purpose” emergency treatment for stressful situations. He blended five remedies which he felt would be of the most universal use. The original formula is still manufactured according to Dr. Bach’s specifications under the name “Rescue Remedy” by Nelsonbach.
- Cherry Plum – for fear of losing control
- Rock Rose – for terror, panic, and nightmares
- Star of Bethlehem – for recovering from sudden shock
- Impatiens – to help you slow down and relax
- Clematis – to help you think clearly
Situations When You Need Rescue Remedy
- Stress of exams or deadlines
- A sudden fright or shock
- As a calmative before and after surgery
- Facing your fears, flying when you’re afraid of planes or going to the dentist when that causes anxiety
- Upsetting situations
My Personal Use
I’ve used Flower Essence Remedies personally and with my children, my pets, and other family members for the past 8 years and with my homeopathic clients for 4 years. I have been heavily influenced Ian Watson’s work with using flower essences in tandem with homeopathy
I have received training in Flower Essence Therapy, Western Herbal Medicine, Reflexology, Health Counseling, Holistic Counseling, Nutritional Counseling, Reiki and Crystal Healing, and Eastern Meditation for health issues.
My philosophy is to offer the BEST care available to each client in a complementary way. I believe that everyone should be educated about all available options regarding their health and well-being and to have access to the best of all systems, whether they be traditional or modern, allopathic or holistic. Integrative medicine benefits everyone.
My Two Cents
I tend to prefer the dropper bottle to the spray. I’ve found that the sprayer can clog or break, but it is easier to use for some people.
Original English Flower Essences by FES
Flower Essence Services also prepares the 38 original essences according to Dr. Bach’s instructions. “Healing Herbs” is a trademark of The Flower Essence Society. Their emergency relief remedy is called “Five Flower Formula”. Visit their website at http://www.fesflowers.com for more information.
Several other companies create flower remedies specifically for stressful situations as well, however, only those remedies listed in the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States (as are ALL Bach Essences) are regulated by the FDA.
Animals Have Feelings Too!!!
Rescue Remedy Works for Pets
Pets have feelings too! Flower Essences are a safe and gentle way to help your companions in times of stress or with behavioral issues. They can be administered on a regular basis or as needed, either directly or placed in their drinking water. Animals generally respond faster and stronger to Flower Remedies than humans. The remedies can be beneficial in helping our friends be more at ease in uncomfortable or unfamiliar situations.
Many veterinarians use Rescue Remedy before examining them to help calm them, after anesthesia, and to help an animal recovering from collapse
New Pet Tip
When introducing a new pet into the home, add a couple of drops of Rescue Remedy to the water dish or bottle for a few days to help them relax and settle in.